In order to bear your responsibilities aright, you must be an ever growing Christian;
- Your faith must be strong,
- your consecration complete,
- your love perfect,
- your zeal ardent;
- you must make steady advancement in the knowledge and the love of Christ that you may witness in those under your charge the precious fruits of the Spirit.
- Grasp the promises of God.
- Press close to the bleeding side of Jesus.
- Encourage tenderness and compassion.
- Improve every means of grace, that your love may abound more and more, that you may have wisdom from above,
that you “may approve things that are excellent, . . . being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.” Your present and future usefulness depend on your living connection with God.
1888 Materials, Ch. 26, p. 248